5.02.2013

Taking Off The Cape

So we talked on Facebook for about 3 hours today and she told me that the past two days have been rough for her.  At first I wasn't able to hear her because I was still in my own head.  I got defensive because she was pointing a finger at me for saying her name on my podcast.  Then she said, "it's not about you right now" and something kind of clicked in my mind.  After that I was present in the conversation.  And I was supportive and empathetic and I tried to help her talk out some of her feelings.  Surprisingly enough, I didn't even bad-mouth the new guy! 

After we got through talking she thanked me.  I wanted to call her and tell her, it's the least I can do...I hurt you so bad and I owe you so much that I will always be there for you.  But that would have been too much to throw on her plate right now.  It just makes me feel good to know that I can be there for her...And that she allowed me to be there.  So often in our relationship (and over the course of my adult life) I tried to be a "hero".  I've always been a caring person, but somehow it got twisted in my ego-filled/insecurity-driven/abuse-altered mind that if I "saved" enough people that I could be a good person.  Yes I was helping people...But not for the right reasons. 

Today wasn't like that.  Today I was genuinely there for her.  I put my feelings to the side as best I could and we talked, like adults...Like friends.  And it felt good.  I don't know what's going to happen with her & this guy...And it doesn't matter in terms of my journey.  My delusions of being with her again are slowly starting to fade away.  I'm still in love with her & I still miss her in the worst way, but I'd rather keep her in my life as a real friend than run her away forever by being an insecure & annoying ex-boyfriend.  I don't want to be "that guy".  I want to be this guy.  And this guy is good enough, especially today.  Not because I'm a hero or a good guy...But because I was a friend to someone that was a friend to me.  Someone that taught me what it means to be a real friend as an adult.  I am so glad that we're on speaking (or at least messaging) terms again after 3 days of not communicating.  I know it's still going to be a long process for us to truly become the "Riker & Troi platonic life-partner"-style friends I'd like us to be, but I'm ready to try...And she's slowly starting to accept my trying.  And that makes me feel more super than being a fake "hero" ever could!

No comments:

Post a Comment