7.06.2013

The First Day Of The Rest Of My Life

So, the moment that I had been dreading for nearly two years finally occurred...My ex & I  finally went our separate ways. And nothing happened!

The Earth didn't spin off of it's axis, the Sun still came up, the birds still chirped...And I woke up.  I just experienced one of the most painful days of my life, and I made it out relatively unscathed.  I mean my heart still aches, but that will pass in time.  The important thing is that I realized that as much as I loved my ex, I don't need her (or any other person) to survive.

Last night was pretty interesting.  I'm not exactly proud of my behavior (killing a 12-pack, going H.A.M. all over social media, and engaging my ex in one last argument), but it is what it is (or it was what it was).  What I am proud of is the chats I had with some of my friends.  As you may know, being honest & vulnerable with other people has never been my strong suit, but last night I had some really affirming chats with people I trust.  I realized that with or without her, I'm a good guy.  My self-worth is not dependent on validation from females or from employers or even from my parents.  I'm good enough just because I'm me.

Besides introspection, today's been all about hangin' with my nieces.  I've always gotten along really well with kids (probably something related to my abuse), and sometimes I think the only people on the planet that truly get me are all 15-25 years younger than me!  Anyways, we've spent the afternoon watching TV & playing Uno and joking and eating Chinese food (which was extra good since it's the first thing I've eaten in a day & a half).

All in all, not a bad way to spend the first day of the rest of my life!
#TeamMilton

No comments:

Post a Comment